China has dismissed claims by Palau President Surangel Whipps Jr over a recent Chinese missile test-launch, describing them as “completely groundless” and “malicious in intent”.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian made the comments on Tuesday when asked about reports that Whipps had called on Pacific island countries to form a “united position” on China’s missile test.
Lin said China had already made its position clear on the test launch.
“The claims by the Palauan side are completely groundless, malicious in intent and not worth mentioning,” Lin said.
Whipps has questioned why China chose to conduct the test-launch near Tuvalu and Solomon Islands, rather than over the vast open waters between China and the United States.
He also claimed China wanted Pacific island countries to understand that “any one of your islands, we can take out.”
The issue is expected to be discussed by Pacific Islands Forum Leaders when they meet in Palau for the 55th Pacific Islands Forum Leaders Meeting.
The missile test and its implications for regional security are likely to add to wider discussions among Pacific leaders on peace, security and the growing strategic competition in the Pacific.
Palau is hosting the Forum Leaders Meeting from 30 August to 04 September.













