Former Papua New Guinea Chief Justice and Madang Governor Sir Arnold Amet has been appointed as the new PNG Ambassador to United States of America.

Foreign Affairs Minister Justin Tkatchenko announced Sir Arnold’s official appointment at the commissioning Monday, marking a new era of diplomatic ties with U.S.

“Today sets a fresh start for our relationship with the United States of America,” Tkatchenko said.

“The position of Ambassador had been vacant for a long time and I’m pleased that King Charles Ill and the President of United States, Donald Trump have signed off on the appointment of our choice and highly recommended Sir Arnold.

“We have now got a fabulous new Ambassador appointment, of true honour and dignity in the likes of former Chief Justice, Governor of Madang, Member of Parliament and a senior statesman.”

“For him to be finally be appointed as Ambassador of U.S is no mistake.

“Everything was done through fit and proper process at the highest level and we can finally have our Ambassador for the United States.”

“Our relationship with the U.S has been quite an interesting one. As the U.S now takes an independent role to PNG and has direct line of contact with PNG not like before.

“We have a lot of work to do under the new Trump Administration for the good of both our countries and the region as a whole.”

Sir Arnold who was appointed in 2019 was relieved to finally be commissioned to take up the post with concurrent accreditation to Canada and Mexico.

He graduated at the University of Papua New Guinea in 1975 and had since held important posts in the National Judiciary Services and in the National Parliament.

Amet’s appointment comes on the edge of country’s 50-year anniversary and vowed his commitment to the diplomatic post.

“I journeyed with our independence so this year is special for me,” he said.

“I thank the government for the confidence in this appointment and for their perseverance in me.

“It’s a great honour being bestowed upon me and my wife especially at the dawn of golden jubilee of the nation’s anniversary.

“We all have a lot of work to do promoting our nation’s achievements at our postings.”

Sir Arnold told NBC News he is still in country awaiting minor formalities before departing to Washington DC where he will be based.