- News : Turnbull confirms Solomon Islands subsea cable will go live at the end of 2019 [19/04/2018 - Australia]
- Sports News : Fiji, Samoa one win away from Netball World Cup [19/04/2018 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Vanuatu Sport Minister on the dissolution of VASANOC committee [19/04/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : Environment dominates agenda at Commonwealth Youth Council [19/04/2018 - United Kingdom]
- Business News : Vanuatu Finance minister expelled from party [19/04/2018 - Vanuatu]
- Business News : Sheng Lee appointed ANZCountry Head, Vanuatu [19/04/2018 - Vanuatu]
- News : Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head [19/04/2018 - United Kingdom]
- News : PM O’Neill begins CHOGM meetings with courtesy call to the Duke of York [19/04/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Mosquito-packed drones ready to join fight against Zika and other deadly diseases – UN agency [19/04/2018 - United States]
- Business News : Billions sitting in trust accounts in banks: PNG Finance Minister [19/04/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Man arrested over TOP$297,000 methamphetamine shipment from US [19/04/2018 - Tonga]
- News : CHOGM opens at Buckingham Palace, leaders discuss success and challenges ahead [19/04/2018 - United Kingdom]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Cook Islands
A former British protectorate, the territory is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand.
Its economy centres on tourism; the territory's natural assets include fine beaches and volcanic mountains.
More than twice as many native Cook Islanders live in New Zealand than live in the islands themselves. Most of them have left in search of a brighter economic future. As New Zealand citizens they can also live in Australia.
The government has encouraged islanders to return. Businesses have been involved in the drive. But the population level has continued to fall.
Black pearls are the chief export. Agriculture, the sale of fishing licences to foreign fleets and offshore finance are also key revenue earners.
The Cook Islands are prone to tropical storms; Hurricane Martin devastated the northern islands in 1997 causing substantial losses for the black pearl industry.
Named after Captain Cook, who explored them in 1773, the islands were once autonomous, home to tribes of mixed Polynesian ancestry. Governments still seek advice on matters of culture, custom and land ownership from a council of hereditary leaders known as the House of Ariki.
Additional information Full name: Cook Islands Population: 18,000 (UN, 2004) Capital: Avarua, on Rarotonga Area: 237 sq km (91 sq miles) Major languages: English and Cook Islands Maori Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 New Zealand dollar ($NZ) = 100 cents Main exports: Black pearls
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media