- Sports News : Promoting gender equality at the Manu Samoa v Wales test match [22/06/2017 - Samoa]
- News Feature : The old ways are gone: Papua New Guinea’s tribal wars become more destructive [22/06/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Fiji Airways confirms acquisition of full flight simulator for Aviation academy [22/06/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : ADB approves new facility to upgrade, mantain PNG's highway [22/06/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Vanuatu deputy PM Natuman, Maralau trial in December [22/06/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Security responsibility of Fiji Military, Colonel Kalouniwai reiterates [22/06/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Solomons' Chinese community concerned about RAMSI exit [22/06/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : ACP-EU Joint Assembly call on U.S. Government to review climate position [22/06/2017 - Malta]
- Business News : Fraud cases total $4m: Fiji Police [22/06/2017 - Fiji]
- News : PM Sogavare calls on Solomon Islanders to take ownership of country as RAMSI leaves [22/06/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Timing of calling election for Vanuatu President required under law: Chairman [22/06/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Judgment on dismissal of Tongan broadcaster expected next week [22/06/2017 - Tonga]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Kiribati
The 33 atolls that make up Kiribati - the former Gilbert Islands - occupy a vast area in the Pacific. They stretch nearly 4,000 km from east to west, more than 2,000 km from north to south, and straddle the Equator.
The country won independence from the United Kingdom in 1979. Many of the atolls are inhabited; most of them are very low-lying and at risk from rising sea levels.
Kiribati used to lie either side of the International Date Line, but the government unilaterally moved the line eastwards in 1995 to ensure the day was the same in the whole country.
This was a shrewd move as Kiribati marketed itself as the first inhabited place on Earth to greet the new millennium on 1 January 2000. The world's media descended on Caroline Island, renamed Millennium Island, to record the event.
Kiribati's economy is weak and is affected by rises and falls in the world demand for coconut.
Fishing licences, foreign aid and money sent home by workers abroad also play their part, as does a trust fund set up with revenues from phosphate mining on the island of Banaba. The mines were depleted by 1980, precipitating the evacuation of much of the population.
Kiribati is home to the South Pacific's largest marine reserve.
Additional information Full name: The Republic of Kiribati Population: 99,000 (2005 UN estimate) Capital: Tarawa Atoll Area: 810 sq km (313 sq miles) Major languages: English, Gilbertese Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 Australian dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Copra, fish, seaweed
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media