- News Feature : UN backs Pacific priorities at World Urban Forum in Abu Dhabi [17/02/2020 - United Arab Emirates]
- Business News : Spread of coronavirus to affect PNG economy: Treasurer [17/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Bill for ICAC to be tabled in PNG Parliament [17/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Fiji and Tonga to hold talks on the Minerva Reef [17/02/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG Government denies entry for travellers to China since 31 January [17/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Indonesia military to blame for 2014 Papua killings: Rights commission [17/02/2020 - Indonesia]
- Sports News : Tonga expelled by International Rugby League [17/02/2020 - Tonga]
- Sports News : All can be forgiven': Fifita backs Folau for Tonga return [17/02/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Toua aims for Olympic history for PNG [17/02/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Someone needs to break the deadlock of Group B in the OFC Champions League [17/02/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Samoa Cruise cancellation costs hit $200,000 [17/02/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Manatua consortium confirms cable lay operations complete [17/02/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media