- News : Marshall Islands is elected to UN Human Rights Council, scored a major diplomatic victory [17/10/2019 - United States]
- News : Samoa prepares to host Chinese Vice Premier Hu Chunhua [17/10/2019 - Samoa]
- News : Norton Rose files key to PNG royal commission into UBS loan [17/10/2019 - Australia]
- Sports News : Fiji’s Lorraine Mar awarded ANOC Meritorious Award for her contribution to sports in Fiji and the Oceania region [17/10/2019 - Qatar]
- Sports News : Toea Wisil and Brandon Schuster awarded Oceania’s best female and best male athletes at the ANOC 2019 Awards in Doha [17/10/2019 - Qatar]
- News Feature : Tuberculosis infections declining, but not fast enough among poor, marginalised: UN health agency [17/10/2019 - Switzerland]
- Business News : US$34 million project to boost RMI’s green energy and power supply [17/10/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : NZ ‘could have protected’ Samoa from measles [17/10/2019 - New Zealand]
- News : Independence for Bougainville to cost K300m a year: Sir Puka [17/10/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : ONOC President Dr Mitchell to serve as Acting ANOC President until Sheikh Ahmad case resolved [17/10/2019 - Qatar]
- Sports News : Fiji TV secures broadcast rights to HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series from 2020-2023 [17/10/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : How Cook Islands plan to become the 'new Tonga' [17/10/2019 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media