- Sports News : Ben Frame board blames impasse for PNG Pukpuks fall-out [24/05/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Cook Islands Rugby Union a bit apprehensive of new eligibility rule [24/05/2017 - Cook Islands]
- News Feature : RAMSI chapter ends in Australiaís Pacific story [24/05/2017 - Australia]
- News Feature : Leaders discuss important issues at Green Growth Retreat [24/05/2017 - Tonga]
- Business News : Kiribati private business buys Tuvaluís Nivaga II to operate in Kiribati [24/05/2017 - Kiribati]
- Business News : NFA to address illegal fishing in PNG waters [24/05/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : UN conference turns spotlight on Fijiís women weather watch network [24/05/2017 - Mexico]
- News : India pledges US$1M to help Fijiís Presidency at COP 23 [24/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Nauru refugee quietly arrives [24/05/2017 - Cambodia]
- News : PNG police chief blasted over Indonesian training idea [24/05/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Solomon Islands to host sixth Melanesian festival [24/05/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Commonwealth offers climate vulnerable states ďa light at the end of the tunnelĒ [24/05/2017 - United Kingdom]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media