- Sports News : MSG secretariat signs historical MOU with OFC [06/07/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : Reset the Economic model to support Environment and Climate systems [06/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News : COVID-19: Fiji records new case [06/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Marshall Islands continues inbound travel ban [06/07/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- News : U.S. Government supports Health Care on Air for Pacific Islands COVID 19 response [06/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Border closes between NSW and Victoria as southern state records largest ever jump in Covid-19 cases [06/07/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : 'It's broken me into a million pieces': six months on from Samoa's deadly measles outbreak [06/07/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Digital economy can be strengthened in Palau in the absence of tourism [06/07/2020 - Palau]
- Business News : Exporters furious at Air NZ's treatment of the Pacific [06/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Fiji Commerce and Employers Federation members welcome stimulus COVID-19 package [06/07/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji striving to restart shrinking tourism amid COVID-19 pandemic [06/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific travel bubble could be drifting further out of reach as anxiety over New Zealand border fumble rises [06/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media