- Sports News : $1m grant for Commonwealth Games: Fiji [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : NZ to be more of a 'true partner' to Pacific, says Peters [15/03/2018 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Government to protect Fiji Airways routes [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News : New Zealand cools on climate refugee plan [15/03/2018 - New Zealand]
- News : 49th Pacific Islands Forum and related meetings dates confirmed [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News : Kiribati, Solomon Islands on track to graduate from UN list of least developed countries [15/03/2018 - United States]
- News : One dead in latest New Caledonia dengue outbreak [15/03/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : PNG earthquake: death toll rises to 145 as disease threat grows [15/03/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Solomon Islands team to Commonwealth Games announced [14/03/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Dugong and seagrass conservation on the agenda for Pacific island range states [14/03/2018 - Samoa]
- News Feature : PIANGO: Sustainable graduation has to be the key for Pacific Least Developed countries [14/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Innovation, Collaboration and Action to tackle Marine Debris [14/03/2018 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Should Fiji return to the Pacific Islands Forum 1: 2: 3: 4: You need to login to participate in our polls.
Country profile - Samoa
It was governed by New Zealand until its people voted for independence in 1961.
Samoa has the world's second-largest Polynesian group, after the Maori. Its deeply conservative and devoutly Christian society centres around the extended family, which is headed by an elected chief who directs the family's social, economic and political affairs, and the church, which is a focus of recreational and social life. Many Samoan villages hold up to 20 minutes of prayer curfews in the evenings.
The economy revolves around fishing and agriculture, which is vulnerable to cyclones and disease.
Attempts at diversification have met with success. Tourism is growing, thanks to the islands' scenic attractions and fine beaches. Offshore banking spearheads an expanding services sector. Light manufacturing is expanding and has attracted foreign investment.
Despite this, many younger Samoans are leaving for New Zealand, the US and American Samoa. Money sent home by Samoans living abroad can be a key source of household income.
Additional information Full name: The Independent State of Samoa Population: 187,000 (UN, 2007) Capital: Apia Area: 2,831 sq km (1,093 sq miles) Major languages: Samoan, English Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 tala = 100 sene Main exports: Coconut oil and cream, copra, fish, beer
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media