- News Feature : ANALYSIS: Part Two: UNFCCC COP23 Opportunities & Challenges [27/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : ANALYSIS: Part One: UNFCCC COP23 Opportunities & Challenges [27/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Tuvalu's Commitments in the Face of Climate Change Impacts [26/03/2017 - Tuvalu]
- Business News : Pacific companies here to test NZ Market [26/03/2017 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Export dynamics in the Pacific Islands – findings released [26/03/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : PNG Trade Minister says PNG wasted enough time talking to Fiji [26/03/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : SPTO gears up for regional tourism exchange [26/03/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Ex-guerrilla vows to keep fight for East Timor unity [26/03/2017 - Timor-leste]
- News : Signs of movement in Vanuatu's boundary dispute with France [26/03/2017 - Vanuatu]
- News : Wallis and Futuna elect new assembly [26/03/2017 - Wallis and Futuna]
- News : PNG Common roll update 94 per cent completed [26/03/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : China and NZ sealing a strong trading relationship based on mutual benefits and respect [26/03/2017 - New Zealand]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - New Caledonia
A French overseas territory in the Pacific, New Caledonia has seen deep divisions between its indigenous and European populations, notably over the thorny question of independence.
But as the European population burgeoned, tensions - often over the loss of land - rose between the incomers and the indigenous Melanesians, known as Kanaks. A Kanak revolt in 1878 claimed more than 1,000 lives and heralded further repression by the French rulers.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: New Caledonia Population: 230,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Noumea Area: 18,575 sq km Major languages: French (official), Melanesian and Polynesian dialects Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: Pacific franc Main exports: Nickel, prawns
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media