- Sports News : $1m grant for Commonwealth Games: Fiji [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : NZ to be more of a 'true partner' to Pacific, says Peters [15/03/2018 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Government to protect Fiji Airways routes [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News : New Zealand cools on climate refugee plan [15/03/2018 - New Zealand]
- News : 49th Pacific Islands Forum and related meetings dates confirmed [15/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News : Kiribati, Solomon Islands on track to graduate from UN list of least developed countries [15/03/2018 - United States]
- News : One dead in latest New Caledonia dengue outbreak [15/03/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : PNG earthquake: death toll rises to 145 as disease threat grows [15/03/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Solomon Islands team to Commonwealth Games announced [14/03/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : Dugong and seagrass conservation on the agenda for Pacific island range states [14/03/2018 - Samoa]
- News Feature : PIANGO: Sustainable graduation has to be the key for Pacific Least Developed countries [14/03/2018 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Innovation, Collaboration and Action to tackle Marine Debris [14/03/2018 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - New Caledonia
A French overseas territory in the Pacific, New Caledonia has seen deep divisions between its indigenous and European populations, notably over the thorny question of independence.
But as the European population burgeoned, tensions - often over the loss of land - rose between the incomers and the indigenous Melanesians, known as Kanaks. A Kanak revolt in 1878 claimed more than 1,000 lives and heralded further repression by the French rulers.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: New Caledonia Population: 230,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Noumea Area: 18,575 sq km Major languages: French (official), Melanesian and Polynesian dialects Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: Pacific franc Main exports: Nickel, prawns
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media