- Sports News : Footballer sues CIFA for $1 million [20/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : “I am deeply saddened”: Israel Folau speaks out after Rugby Australia sacking [20/05/2019 - Australia]
- News : Coalition set to form majority government [20/05/2019 - Australia]
- News : Court to deliver decision on appeal against discharge of four charges against Lord Tu’ivakanō [20/05/2019 - Tonga]
- News : UN chief: ‘Save the Pacific to save the world’ [20/05/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Vanuatu Prime Minister to visit New Zealand [20/05/2019 - Vanuatu]
- Sports News : Kagifa Samoa making debut this week [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : 'One day we'll disappear': Tuvalu's sinking islands [16/05/2019 - Tuvalu]
- Business News : Cook Islands telecom policy promises affordability [16/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : 17 APTC students graduate in Kiribati [16/05/2019 - Kiribati]
- News : Motion against Tuvalu PM as UN SG visits [16/05/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : PM O’Neill adamant on seeking courts guideline on no confidence motion [16/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Tongan Government this year will start repaying the Chinese loan of more than US$100 million that was taken for recovery and reconstruction after the Nuku'alofa riots of 16 November 2006.
Prime Minister ‘Akilisi Pohiva told local media this week the repayment was deferred to this year, after the government asked over the past years.
He said government would start repaying the principal loan starting in this year’s budget.
“In the meantime, government has paid around $16 million (US$6.9 million) in interest. Our journey now into future is that we would keep on asking China to divert this loan into a grant,” he said.
Government took out the US$119 million loan from China for the reconstruction of Nuku’alofa after riots and arson attacks destroyed much of the Central Business District.
SOURCE: TONGA WIRES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media