- News : Climate change is 'no laughing matter', Fiji's PM Frank Bainimarama tells Australia during Scott Morrison's Pacific trip [18/01/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Bainimarama commends Australian counterpart for historic visit [18/01/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Stage set for referendum on Bougainville's future [18/01/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : Why are we contemplating saddling the Pacific with more debt? [18/01/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Morrison’s Vanuatu trip shows the government’s continued focus on militarising the Pacific [18/01/2019 - Vanuatu]
- Sports News : NRL teams to play trial matches in Pacific nations [18/01/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Affordable, Faster Connectivity for Tuvalu [18/01/2019 - Tuvalu]
- Business News : Samoa Airways signs new Boeing deal [16/01/2019 - Samoa]
- Business News : Dubai Chamber hosts Kiribati President in effort to boost bilateral ties [16/01/2019 - United Arab Emirates]
- Business News : More features on ANZ Pacific App announced [16/01/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Tere-Apisah eyes Fed Cup [16/01/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sports News : Baber believes fans should think twice [16/01/2019 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG) President Chief Dr John Momis has announced the appointment of the Chairman for the Bougainville Referendum Commission which will conduct the Bougainville Referendum next year.
He told the ABG Parliament sitting this week that the Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and him as the President of the Autonomous Bougainville Government have agreed that Bertie Ahern, the former Prime Minister of Ireland will be their proposed nominee to chair the Bougainville Referendum Commission.
President Momis said Ahern will bring a wealth of knowledge in International relations and Peace building to the role.
He said Ahern was instrumental in brokering the Good Friday Peace Agreement in Northern Ireland and since his retirement from politics has continued to engage in a number of areas around peace building and conflict resolution.
President Momis said that he was of the view that Ahern will be a most worthy candidate both the Prime Minister and President hope that he will take on this important role.
He said that a formal offer will be made to the former Irish leader in the coming days and the members of the ABG House will be informed of the progress in fully establishing the Board of the Commission.
President Momis said that whilst this work continues to progress, he would like to put on record the good work that is already taking place to establish and build up the capacity of the Bougainville Referendum Commission.
He said that under the joint leadership of the transitional Co-Chairs PNG Electoral Commissioner Gamato and Bougainville Electoral Commissioner Manu, work has already commenced on scoping the conduct of the Referendum.
SOURCE: NBC NEWS PNG/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media