- News Feature : First Round of Joint ACP-EU Technical Negotiations [21/10/2018 - Belgium]
- News Feature : Blue Charter fellowships to drive research on ocean pollution [21/10/2018 - United Kingdom]
- Business News : Insurance payouts increase for NCD health and deaths in Fiji [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : In Tokelau, newspapers plot way forward for youth and unity [21/10/2018 - Tokelau]
- News : Biggest ever water project for Kiribati approved by Green Climate Fund [21/10/2018 - Kiribati]
- News : ‘Not happy’: Australia must act on climate, says former Kiribati leader [21/10/2018 - Australia]
- News : PNG Shadow Minister concerned with APEC Security Act [21/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : StarKist pleads guilty to price fixing [21/10/2018 - American Samoa]
- Business News : Expert says Cook Islands economy durable [21/10/2018 - Cook Islands]
- News : France says will be 'impartial' in New Caledonia independence vote [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Campaigning starts officially for New Caledonia referendum [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Local media to be kept away from Royals [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG) President Chief Dr John Momis has announced the appointment of the Chairman for the Bougainville Referendum Commission which will conduct the Bougainville Referendum next year.
He told the ABG Parliament sitting this week that the Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and him as the President of the Autonomous Bougainville Government have agreed that Bertie Ahern, the former Prime Minister of Ireland will be their proposed nominee to chair the Bougainville Referendum Commission.
President Momis said Ahern will bring a wealth of knowledge in International relations and Peace building to the role.
He said Ahern was instrumental in brokering the Good Friday Peace Agreement in Northern Ireland and since his retirement from politics has continued to engage in a number of areas around peace building and conflict resolution.
President Momis said that he was of the view that Ahern will be a most worthy candidate both the Prime Minister and President hope that he will take on this important role.
He said that a formal offer will be made to the former Irish leader in the coming days and the members of the ABG House will be informed of the progress in fully establishing the Board of the Commission.
President Momis said that whilst this work continues to progress, he would like to put on record the good work that is already taking place to establish and build up the capacity of the Bougainville Referendum Commission.
He said that under the joint leadership of the transitional Co-Chairs PNG Electoral Commissioner Gamato and Bougainville Electoral Commissioner Manu, work has already commenced on scoping the conduct of the Referendum.
SOURCE: NBC NEWS PNG/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media