- Business News : Fiji Government stands to lose $1.5b tax revenue [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : World Rugby creates access to optional domestic law trials to further reduce COVID-19 risk [29/05/2020 - Ireland]
- Sports News : PNGRFL granted conditional approval [29/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Bankruptcy looms for 512 businesses in Fiji: Survey [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG Opposition leader Namah suspended: Supreme Court [29/05/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Fiji PM joins global leadership call to secure finance for development in the era of COVID-19 and beyond [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Australia could include Pacific labourers in 'travel bubble' as $280m aid shake-up revealed [29/05/2020 - Australia]
- News : Winston Peters says a transtasman bubble can safely be done now [29/05/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : Australia’s problem with Pacific aid [29/05/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : FFA calls for action to address human elements of IUU Fishing [29/05/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : Pandemic is man-made, says FTUC [29/05/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Termination notice for Vanuatu's Trade Commissioner to Hongkong [29/05/2020 - Vanuatu]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
John Patteson Oti has been elected the new Speaker of the Solomon Islands parliament by MPs today.
Oti is a former foreign affairs minister and more recently served as the country's ambassador to Fiji.
There were 48 secret ballots cast, 30 were in favour of Oti, 15 went to the only other nominee and former speaker Ajilon Jasper Nasiu.
Three ballots were spoilt and two MPs were absent.
Only one nominee was put forward for the deputy speaker's post, Stanley Festus Sofu, the MP for East Kwaio.
At the end of today's session the prime minister Manasseh Sogavare is to seek a special adjournment of parliament until 4 June.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media