- News : CRGA approve SPC salaries increase [26/07/2017 - New Caledonia]
- News : Australian government stalls Solomon Islands undersea telco cable over Hauweii security issues [26/07/2017 - Solomon Islands]
- News : New climate research could prompt greater preparedness [26/07/2017 - Australia]
- Business News : FRCA rewards whistle-blower $250,000 [26/07/2017 - Fiji]
- News : PNG Parliament to convene next Friday [26/07/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : No women MPs to sit in next PNG parliament [26/07/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Taiwan President calls for Tuvalu's ongoing support for UNFCCC bid [26/07/2017 - Taiwan]
- News : SPC to set up Pacific Oceans Science Centre [25/07/2017 - New Caledonia]
- News Feature : Pacific Community launches inaugural newsletter [25/07/2017 - New Caledonia]
- Business News : Cultural clash over medicinal kava [25/07/2017 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Tourism, a key economic driver for Least Developed Countries [25/07/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Attempt by SPC to raise staff salaries by two percent failed to reach consensus [25/07/2017 - New Caledonia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Hundreds of households in New Caledonia are still without power, a week after Cyclone Cook crossed the main island.
The category 3 system, which claimed one life, damaged the electricity grid in the middle of Grand Terre when it crossed the mountainous main island with winds of up to 180 kilometres.
Teams have been out over Easter to reconnect homes in the Boulouparis and La Foa areas on the west coast and around Poindimie and Thio on the eastern side of the island.
A former president and now parliamentarian in France, Philippe Gomes, called on the French High Commission to declare a state of natural disaster in the worst hit areas.
Cyclone Cook caused extensive damage to crops prompting the government to call a meeting for tomorrow to finalise plans to assist farmers who face months without income.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media