- Sports News : CNMI Sports Association wants to work with Governor to keep Mini Games [22/03/2019 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- Sports News : Vanuatu Volleyball wins IOC award [22/03/2019 - Vanuatu]
- Business News : Scenic Hotel Tonga pulls down sign in shock closure [22/03/2019 - Tonga]
- News : Call to prayer and two-minute silence: 'We are broken-hearted, but we are not broken' [22/03/2019 - New Zealand]
- News : PNG Energy Minister not ashamed to push for coal energy [22/03/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Namulau’ulu Sami Leota ahead in Fa’asaleleaga by election provisional results [22/03/2019 - Samoa]
- Business News : Indonesia signs economic agreement with Fiji and PNG [21/03/2019 - Indonesia]
- News : French research institute to study coastal erosion for UNESCO heritage site in Raietea [21/03/2019 - France]
- News : Fiji Police: Transponder discovered in Lomaiviti waters, linked to drug smuggling [21/03/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : New era of Indonesia- South Pacific engagement [21/03/2019 - Indonesia]
- Business News : Minister declares Fiji Airports Air Traffic Management staff strike illegal [21/03/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Taiwan President Tsai arrives in Palau [21/03/2019 - Palau]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The kingdom of Alo on the French Pacific island of Futuna has a new king.
Lino Leleivai was enthroned as the 36th Tu'iagaifo, or king, after being chosen by the Talise clan.
According to the public broadcaster, the ceremony was also attended by the French prefect of Wallis and Futuna and the head of the territorial assembly.
The new king is replacing Filipo Katoa who resigned in October for health reasons.
Reports said his Lalo tribe asked Filipo Katoa to stay on as king but he felt he lacked the energy to continue.
Futuna has two kingdoms recognised by the French republic.
On neighbouring Wallis, there is one traditional kingdom.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media