- Business News : Advancing fisheries surveillance and enforcement cooperation [21/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Minister Masiu confirms citing of 150 PNG nationals in leaked international data base [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Mother and son elected in South South Bougainville [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : James Tanis humbly bows out from Bougainville presidential election [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : ANZ waives online international money transfer fees to Pacific [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : USP saga drags on [21/09/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG records nine new COVID-19 cases on Sunday,records another COVID-19 death [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Two die in in Solomon Islands bomb blast [21/09/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : COVID-19 illustrates ‘woefully under prepared’ world – UN health chief [21/09/2020 - United States]
- News : Toroama consolidating lead in Bougainville presidential race [21/09/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Australian supplies Guardian-class patrol boat to Palau [21/09/2020 - Australia]
- Sports News : Flying Fijians Coach Cotter will name Autumn Nations Cup squad soon [18/09/2020 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Barrick Gold Corp will lay off most staff at its Porgera gold mine in Papua New Guinea, the mine’s operator said on Wednesday, a signal that an impasse with the government over ownership is unlikely to be resolved swiftly.
Canada’s Barrick, the world’s second-biggest gold miner, was refused an extension of its expired lease on the mine in April, with the government citing unrest and pollution concerns.
It stopped production and put the mine in care and maintenance mode while challenging the lease decision in court, but on Wednesday flagged further job cuts and said 2,650 Papua New Guinea nationals would be retrenched by the end of July.
“The government had repeatedly refused to enter into meaningful discussions about the issue,” Barrick Niugini Ltd, which operates the mine as a joint venture between Barrick and China’s Zijin Mining Group Ltd, said in a statement.
“The fact that the mine is not operating and therefore not producing revenue had created a financially untenable situation.”
It said staff it had kept on in the hope of resolving the dispute would be cut at a cost of US$52 million.
Barrick Chief Executive Mark Bristow said only essential personnel required for care and maintenance would remain. In January, he had told Reuters the mine had potential to be a top-tier asset.
A spokesman for PNG Prime Minister James Marape had no immediate response on Wednesday. He has previously said the government intends to operate the mine itself.
Barrick Niugini’s challenge to the lease extension is due in court on 06 July.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media