- Sports News : NRC cancellation a blow for Fijian Drua rugby team [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Vanuatu MPs undergo induction for new term of Parliament [05/06/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : The Government of Japan funds UN Women programmes to address the challenges of women and girls during COVID-19 [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : End to Sydney, LA flights puts subsidy up in the air [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : $30 million investment in network upgrade [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Niue will begin testing going LIVE with the Manatua cable by June-end [05/06/2020 - Niue]
- News : Fiji PM Bainimarama salutes health workers, new measures next week [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- News : The election is over; hard work begins in forming alliances and MPs – elect contest position of Niue Premier [05/06/2020 - Niue]
- News : Nauru President calls for an end to USP saga [05/06/2020 - Nauru]
- News : Measures remain in place to ensure that Niue remains Covid-19 free and will be reviewed by new Cabinet [05/06/2020 - Niue]
- News Feature : UNICEF and WHO call on Pacific Island countries to strengthen policies on breast-milk substitutes [05/06/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Time to reflect on the importance of Pacific biodiversity during World Environment Day [05/06/2020 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The 2020 Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships scheduled for the 27th of May to the 6th of June has been cancelled after consultation with Rugby Australia over the last month.
Extended travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to numerous countries, and concerns over adequate player preparation time, mean that any sort of cross-border international rugby competition cannot be hosted in the next few months.
In a statement last week World Rugby said all decision-making will be entirely contingent on national government travel, quarantine and health advice.
“All parties, including member unions, international competitions, professional club competitions and International Rugby Players, will be involved in the evaluation of potential contingency options with a view to achieving an aligned calendar for the remainder of the year,” it said.
Monitoring of the potential impact on the remaining 2020 international windows continues in collaboration with international rugby stakeholders and the respective authorities.
The Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships was scheduled to be hosted at Bond University in Queensland Australia with New Zealand, Fiji, Japan and host-nation Australia competing for the regional title.
World Rugby has also announced the cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championships that was to be hosted in Italy for July this year.
SOURCE: OCEANIA RUGBY/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media