- Business News : Samoan Finance Minister says Polynesian Airlines must have strong business case [25/05/2017 - Samoa]
- Business News : PNG Government rejects 5pc tax [25/05/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Plans to improve PNG fisheries sector underway [25/05/2017 - Papua New Guinea]
- News Feature : UN Sasakawa Award honours efforts to curb disaster deaths [25/05/2017 - Mexico]
- News : Businesses in Fiji work on disaster resilience [25/05/2017 - Mexico]
- News : Strategies key to Sendai progress [25/05/2017 - Mexico]
- News : Fiji rapist, killer jailed for 30 years [25/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Kangaroos to face Fiji and PNG in Suva [25/05/2017 - Australia]
- News Feature : G7 leaders walk fine line between Trump and Paris deal [25/05/2017 - Italy]
- News Feature : 'I donít take orders from the chief justice': How Nauru ousted its judicial leaders [25/05/2017 - Nauru]
- Business News : $15m tax evasion in Fiji [25/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Business News : $202m for Fiji Sugar Corporation [25/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
A new assembly president has been elected in Wallis and Futuna but nine of the 20 representatives ignored the meeting.
The boycott was triggered by news that the group's most senior member was not available for the sitting which was the first since last month's territorial election.
The French prefect Jean-Francis Treffel allowed the sitting to open and a French-born businessman David Verge was elected, replacing Mikaele Kulimoetoke.
Verge was first elected to the assembly five years ago but because of campaign finance irregularities, he lost his seat a year later and was declared ineligible to hold office for a year.
He had been implicated in an alleged fraud but the case is yet to go to court.
According to observers the new majority in the assembly reflects allegiance to the one king of Wallis Patalione Kanimoa who is recognised by the French authorities.
Rival clans recognised another king.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media