- Sports News : Red’s Henry Taefu among eight new caps in Manu Samoa’s June squad [28/05/2017 - Samoa]
- News Feature : The Ocean Conference: An Integrated Vision that must be Delivered [28/05/2017 - United States]
- News Feature : American Samoa tuna cannery closure prompts fisheries gifts to Tokelau [28/05/2017 - New Zealand]
- Business News : ADB, HFC Bank sign first trade finance deal in Fiji [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Pacific nations ready to mobilise action to reverse marine degradation, UN convenes Oceans conference next week [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News : World can 'learn ocean management from Pacific' [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Election in Samoa to be mandatory in 2021: PM Tuilaepa [28/05/2017 - Samoa]
- News : U.S. Marine transfer plan from Okinawato Guam might be reviewed, commandant says [28/05/2017 - United States]
- Sports News : Pacific Games Council to make last attempt to keep 2019 Games in Tonga [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Official says Government funds had already been allocated for Tonga 2019 before host's withdrawal [28/05/2017 - Tonga]
- Sports News : Qera to lead Flying Fijians on June Test [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Fiji stars Nemani Nadolo and Josua Tuisova won’t play against Wallabies [28/05/2017 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
“The sustainable development goals is everyone’s responsibility.”
This was echoed by the President of the United Nations General Assembly – Ambassador Peter Thomson.
Speaking at a public lecture at the University of the South Pacific (USP), Thomson called on students to get involved in implementing Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), with ocean health a key component.
“We must all be a part of driving the transformation to sustainability, I’m therefore calling on each of you today to join with m e and the rest of the global activist community in driving the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.”
At the core of all 17 SDGs, Ambassador Thomson explained was the issue of climate change which is a considerable concern to the region given the degradation of resources, in particular our oceans.
The UNGA President explained that part of the lobbying by the UN is crowd sourcing to humanity.
Ambassador Thomson is in Fiji to attend the high level preparatory Pacific meeting in the lead up to the UN Oceans Conference in New York in June….
SOURCE: FBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media