- Sports News : Flying Fijians Coach keeps a close tab on local players [07/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : COVID-19 economic impact devastating for the Pacific region [07/08/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : PM Bainimarama announces Fiji's nominations for Forum Secretary General [07/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific at centre of first NZ election debate [07/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : COVID economic crisis, Debt and a path out for Palau and the Pacific [07/08/2020 - Palau]
- News : Additional 2,770 COVID-19 test cartridges arrive in Fiji [07/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Video emerges of NZ yacht involved in tense dispute with Tonga's navy at reef used as safe haven [07/08/2020 - Tonga]
- News Feature : 35th Anniversary of the South Pacific Nuclear Free Zone Treaty [07/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Cook Islands Air-bridge to NZ to be ‘world-first’ [07/08/2020 - Cook Islands]
- News : Global cooperation is our only choice against COVID-19, says WHO chief [07/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : Salaries & Allowances of Niue MPs revealed [07/08/2020 - Niue]
- News Feature : COVID-19: Over 6,650 detainees in the Pacific region receive assistance [07/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The Fiji government is not satisfied with the state of affairs at the University of the South Pacific (USP) after allegations of mismanagement.
Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum told parliament that Fiji as the largest benefactor for USP, has a vested interest, and wants to know how taxpayers’ money is being spent.
“We are very concerned about the financial management at USP and the manner in which the administration is running USP. Fiji is giving $27 million (US$12.7 million), the next highest grant country is Solomon Islands – $2m (US$1 million). There are a lot of anomalies as the Pro Chancellor has raised, and the Audit and Risk Committee Chair has raised”.
Issues over USP management came to light about two months ago after allegations were levelled against Vice Chancellor Professor Pal Ahluwalia.
Professor Ahluwalia was suspended by the USP Executive Committee to allow for investigations, only for the University Council to overturn the decision.
SOURCE: FBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media