- Sports News : Red’s Henry Taefu among eight new caps in Manu Samoa’s June squad [28/05/2017 - Samoa]
- News Feature : The Ocean Conference: An Integrated Vision that must be Delivered [28/05/2017 - United States]
- News Feature : American Samoa tuna cannery closure prompts fisheries gifts to Tokelau [28/05/2017 - New Zealand]
- Business News : ADB, HFC Bank sign first trade finance deal in Fiji [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Pacific nations ready to mobilise action to reverse marine degradation, UN convenes Oceans conference next week [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News : World can 'learn ocean management from Pacific' [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- News : Election in Samoa to be mandatory in 2021: PM Tuilaepa [28/05/2017 - Samoa]
- News : U.S. Marine transfer plan from Okinawato Guam might be reviewed, commandant says [28/05/2017 - United States]
- Sports News : Pacific Games Council to make last attempt to keep 2019 Games in Tonga [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Official says Government funds had already been allocated for Tonga 2019 before host's withdrawal [28/05/2017 - Tonga]
- Sports News : Qera to lead Flying Fijians on June Test [28/05/2017 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Fiji stars Nemani Nadolo and Josua Tuisova won’t play against Wallabies [28/05/2017 - Australia]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Major progress and inroads have been made into rectifying the controversial Special Agriculture Business Lease (SABLs)declared unlawful by the Papua New Guinea Government.
Lands Minister Benny Allan clarified this Tuesday saying his department has been working full time accommodating and facilitating the National Executive Council decision nullifying SABL titles, the submission for which he was the author.
Allan said his department had to tread carefully in implementing the NEC decision due to the complexity of the issue and it was not an overnight solution as literally demanded by uninformed NGOs.
Allan said advocacy groups trying to dictate to the Government what to do were putting the cart before the horse.
“We are committed to this task and have made positive progress in implementing the Prime Minister and the NEC’s decision and instructions to cancel all SABLs in the country,” Allan said.
“And we have not merely cancelled SABLs, we have gone further to establishing a process to converting these SABLs into customary land leases through the Incorporated Landowner Group and Voluntary Customary Lands Registration concepts and there have been a number of success stories.
“We have not been inactive as some commentators and so-called advocacy groups may want to believe and preach.
“Nothing can be further from the truth, the Ministry and the department have, since the announcement by the Prime Minister on the blanket cancellation of all SABLs worked hard in pursuing and advancing the matter forward.” Allan said since the NEC Decision 287/2014 on the Commission of Inquiry recommendation, the Department of Lands and Physical Planning has to date not issued any new SABLs.
He said under the same approval all SABLs have been surrendered to the department for processing and conversion to integrated land groups and voluntary customary lands registration.
“This is not a straight-forward case as one may like to think. As a responsible Government we have to be mindful of the technical and legal challenges and considerations associated with the implementation of this decision,” he said.
Allan said the Department has already prepared a detailed statement on SABLs which he would present at the next sitting of Parliament.
“In the meantime I urge those detractors and opponents not to be hasty in their accusations without knowing and appreciating the work we’ve put in and the realities with which we are dealing with on this issue,” he said.
SOURCE: POST COURIER/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media