- News Feature : First Round of Joint ACP-EU Technical Negotiations [21/10/2018 - Belgium]
- News Feature : Blue Charter fellowships to drive research on ocean pollution [21/10/2018 - United Kingdom]
- Business News : Insurance payouts increase for NCD health and deaths in Fiji [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : In Tokelau, newspapers plot way forward for youth and unity [21/10/2018 - Tokelau]
- News : Biggest ever water project for Kiribati approved by Green Climate Fund [21/10/2018 - Kiribati]
- News : ‘Not happy’: Australia must act on climate, says former Kiribati leader [21/10/2018 - Australia]
- News : PNG Shadow Minister concerned with APEC Security Act [21/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : StarKist pleads guilty to price fixing [21/10/2018 - American Samoa]
- Business News : Expert says Cook Islands economy durable [21/10/2018 - Cook Islands]
- News : France says will be 'impartial' in New Caledonia independence vote [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Campaigning starts officially for New Caledonia referendum [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Local media to be kept away from Royals [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media