- Sports News : New Tokyo 2020 dates supported by NOCs [31/03/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Rescheduled Tokyo 2020 Olympics to open on 23 July in 2021 [30/03/2020 - Japan]
- News Feature : What will COVID-19 mean for the Pacific: a problem in four parts [30/03/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : Scott Morrison calls the Pacific our 'family'. Covid-19 is Australia's chance to prove that [30/03/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : East Asia and Pacific: Countries must act now to mitigate economic shock of COVID-19 [30/03/2020 - United States]
- Business News : Enough cash for next 12 months: FNPF [30/03/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : World Bank forecasts deep regional recession [30/03/2020 - Australia]
- News : Coronavirus necessitates global increase in protective equipment, medical supplies: UN health chief [30/03/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : COVID-19: China hands over $4.3m to assist Fiji and Pacific Island countries [30/03/2020 - Fiji]
- News : PNG PM issues stern warning on border crossing [30/03/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Swine fever in PNG Highlands [30/03/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Schools closed in Solomon Islands [30/03/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - Northern Mariana Islands
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI, is a chain of 14 islands in the north-west Pacific. It is self-governing, but linked politically to the US.
The CNMI is exempt from US minimum wage and immigration laws; this has helped to drive a billion-dollar garment trade which employs thousands of migrant workers, many of them from China and the Philippines. Migrants outnumber the indigenous Chamarro and Carolinian populations.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Population: 69,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Saipan Area: 457 sq km Major languages: English, Chamarro, Carolinian Major religions: Christianity Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents Main exports: Clothing
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media