- News Feature : First Round of Joint ACP-EU Technical Negotiations [21/10/2018 - Belgium]
- News Feature : Blue Charter fellowships to drive research on ocean pollution [21/10/2018 - United Kingdom]
- Business News : Insurance payouts increase for NCD health and deaths in Fiji [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : In Tokelau, newspapers plot way forward for youth and unity [21/10/2018 - Tokelau]
- News : Biggest ever water project for Kiribati approved by Green Climate Fund [21/10/2018 - Kiribati]
- News : ‘Not happy’: Australia must act on climate, says former Kiribati leader [21/10/2018 - Australia]
- News : PNG Shadow Minister concerned with APEC Security Act [21/10/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : StarKist pleads guilty to price fixing [21/10/2018 - American Samoa]
- Business News : Expert says Cook Islands economy durable [21/10/2018 - Cook Islands]
- News : France says will be 'impartial' in New Caledonia independence vote [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Campaigning starts officially for New Caledonia referendum [21/10/2018 - New Caledonia]
- News : Local media to be kept away from Royals [21/10/2018 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Country profile - New Caledonia
A French overseas territory in the Pacific, New Caledonia has seen deep divisions between its indigenous and European populations, notably over the thorny question of independence.
But as the European population burgeoned, tensions - often over the loss of land - rose between the incomers and the indigenous Melanesians, known as Kanaks. A Kanak revolt in 1878 claimed more than 1,000 lives and heralded further repression by the French rulers.
Source: BBCAdditional information Full name: New Caledonia Population: 230,000 (via UN, 2006) Capital: Noumea Area: 18,575 sq km Major languages: French (official), Melanesian and Polynesian dialects Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs Monetary unit: Pacific franc Main exports: Nickel, prawns
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media