- Sports News : Kagifa Samoa making debut this week [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : 'One day we'll disappear': Tuvalu's sinking islands [16/05/2019 - Tuvalu]
- Business News : Cook Islands telecom policy promises affordability [16/05/2019 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : 17 APTC students graduate in Kiribati [16/05/2019 - Kiribati]
- News : Motion against Tuvalu PM as UN SG visits [16/05/2019 - Tuvalu]
- News : PM O’Neill adamant on seeking courts guideline on no confidence motion [16/05/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Nauru becomes 193rd World Meteorological Organisation member [16/05/2019 - Nauru]
- News : UN chief lauds Fijians as ‘natural global leaders’ on climate, environment, hails ‘symbiotic relationship’ with land and sea [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News : ‘Climate change is the battle of my life’, UN chief tells students living on the frontline in Fiji [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News : U.S. needs to step up to China’s growing influence in Pacific- Palau President Remengesau [16/05/2019 - Palau]
- News : UN chief Guterres concerned nuclear ‘coffin’ leaking in Pacific [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Fiji Cabinet endorses landmark National Climate Change Policy [16/05/2019 - Fiji]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
John Patteson Oti has been elected the new Speaker of the Solomon Islands parliament by MPs today.
Oti is a former foreign affairs minister and more recently served as the country's ambassador to Fiji.
There were 48 secret ballots cast, 30 were in favour of Oti, 15 went to the only other nominee and former speaker Ajilon Jasper Nasiu.
Three ballots were spoilt and two MPs were absent.
Only one nominee was put forward for the deputy speaker's post, Stanley Festus Sofu, the MP for East Kwaio.
At the end of today's session the prime minister Manasseh Sogavare is to seek a special adjournment of parliament until 4 June.
SOURCE: RNZ PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media