- News Feature : "Women’s rights are non-negotiable in COVID-19 response programming" says the Pacific based Shifting the Power Coalition [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : ADB sees pandemic slashing 2020 global remittances by over US$100 billion [03/08/2020 - Philippines]
- Business News : No tax on fringe benefitsin in Fiji [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific should be on alert after PNG drug bust - analyst [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : We can't allow Pacific leaders to use coronavirus as a cover for authoritarianism [03/08/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : New data on women’s experiences and men’s perpetration of violence inform approaches to prevent family violence in South Tarawa, Kiribati [03/08/2020 - Kiribati]
- Sports News : OFC announces funding increases [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : 70 Marshallese died from COVID-19 in U.S [03/08/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- News : 110 COVID-19 cases in PNG [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Three more individuals positive for Covid-19 in CNMI [02/08/2020 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- News : No end in sight to COVID crisis, and its impact will last for ‘decades to come’ [02/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : PNG’s biggest drug bust: the plane crash, the dead man and the half tonne of cocaine [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
A 66-year-old man is the first COVID-19 related death in Fiji.
The man died at the Lautoka Hospital Thursday, where he was in isolation.
He was the Fiji’s first border quarantine case of COVID-19.
The man had returned to Fiji from India after receiving surgical treatment for long standing cardiac condition.
Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete says despite the best efforts of our health care professionals the man passed away due to complications from COVID-19.
Dr Waqainabete says the Ministry has expressed its condolences directly to the man’s family who they have been in contact with since his diagnosis.
The Minister stressed that it is important to note that the deceased contracted the virus while in India which is in the midst of large scale outbreak of COVID-19.
SOURCE: FBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media