- Sports News : Victory [19/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Flying Fijians coach McKee names squad for final test against Maori All Blacks [18/07/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Kable shoots another Gold for Team Fiji [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Samoa PM calls on Pacific Games Council to address transgender concerns [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific Mini Games to feature six sports in scaled down format in Northern Mariana Islands [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific Games Council hoping for amicable conclusion to dispute with Tongan Government [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific's fastest man reigns in thrilling 200m final [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Wisil completes historic Pacific Games sprint triple-triple with 200m gold [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- News Feature : Mobilising Urgent Action and Political Will For Ocean and Climate Change [18/07/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Vanuatu: First country in the Pacific to develop its Multi hazard National Contingency Plan [18/07/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Climate change main priority says new EU Ambassador to Pacific [18/07/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Climate crisis not science debate anymore: Kiribati civil servant [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
New Zealand and Norfolk Island earned their first gold medals of the 2019 Pacific Games with victories in the archery and lawn bowls respectively.
Kiwi archers Olivia Hodgson and Adam Kaluzny shot one of the rounds of their lives to secure gold in the mixed team archery here, earning a quota spot for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
They beat Australia 18-16 in a sudden-death shoot-out in a dramatic final, while Tonga took the bronze at the Sports Field in Faleata.
"It's a dream come true," said Hodgson.
"My phone is ringing non-stop at the moment.
"It's been a big goal of ours to represent New Zealand and be able to get to Tokyo next year."
New Zealand took an early lead but an error from Kaluzny helped the Australian pair of Alice Ingley and Astin Darcy draw level and force a shoot-out.
Kaluzny shot a ten and Hodgson an eight to take the win.
"The pressure was really high, I really concentrated on my processes and was happy to get a good one in the shoot-out," said Kaluzny.
The archers will now need to prove they are capable of a top-16 finish at the Olympic Games for New Zealand to confirm the quota spot.
Norfolk Island may not be able to compete at the Olympics but they have claimed their first gold medal of the Games.
Their women's fours side triumphed in the lawn bowls event after overcoming Niue in the final.
Fiji earned the bronze medal to go with two earlier bowls golds.
In the men's triples competition, their team saw off the challenge of the Cook Islands in the gold medal match after Niue won the bronze.
Fiji were also celebrating gold in the women's singles competition.
Litia Kotoisuva triumphed in the final against her opponent from Norfolk Island.
Fiji were beaten in the men's pairs event as hosts Samoa took gold.
SOURCE: INSIDE THE GAMES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media