- News Feature : Fishing for success: lessons in Pacific regionalism [12/08/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : Cook Islands uphold regional maritime security via 17th annual Forum Fisheries Committee Ministers Meeting [12/08/2020 - Cook Islands]
- Sports News : Seilala Mapusua appointed Manu Samoa head coach [12/08/2020 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Brian Lima appointed Manu Samoa 7s head coach [12/08/2020 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Understanding Pasifika culture pivotal for rugby league success [12/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Australia pours cold water on an early travel bubble but tourists keen [12/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : Fiji Airways extends cancellation of scheduled flights to end of September [12/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Huawei data centre built to spy on PNG [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Collins calls for NZ election to be pushed back to late November or 2021 [12/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Wearing masks mandatory in Port Moresby [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Bougainville's youth pursue break from bloody past at presidential vote [12/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Pandemic ‘inflicting multiple shocks’ on the young, threatens entire generation [12/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The 2020 Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships scheduled for the 27th of May to the 6th of June has been cancelled after consultation with Rugby Australia over the last month.
Extended travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to numerous countries, and concerns over adequate player preparation time, mean that any sort of cross-border international rugby competition cannot be hosted in the next few months.
In a statement last week World Rugby said all decision-making will be entirely contingent on national government travel, quarantine and health advice.
“All parties, including member unions, international competitions, professional club competitions and International Rugby Players, will be involved in the evaluation of potential contingency options with a view to achieving an aligned calendar for the remainder of the year,” it said.
Monitoring of the potential impact on the remaining 2020 international windows continues in collaboration with international rugby stakeholders and the respective authorities.
The Oceania Rugby Under 20s Championships was scheduled to be hosted at Bond University in Queensland Australia with New Zealand, Fiji, Japan and host-nation Australia competing for the regional title.
World Rugby has also announced the cancellation of the World Rugby U20s Championships that was to be hosted in Italy for July this year.
SOURCE: OCEANIA RUGBY/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media