- News : Victory [22/11/2019 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Tonga's women quarantined, out of Oceania event due to measles fears [21/11/2019 - Fiji]
- Business News : Shark fin ban passes U.S House of representatives [21/11/2019 - United States]
- News Feature : John Momis Presidential statement to the people of Bougainville and PNG on the referendum [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Historic vote for Bougainville [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : ABG: No Bougainvillean to be left behind [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Postal voting application period closes today [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : U-Vistract Me’ekamui pledge to vote for Bougainville independence tomorrow [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Dengue epidemic declared in Wallis and Futuna [21/11/2019 - Wallis and Futuna]
- News : Mixed emotions expected as polling begins –Bougainville Referendum chairman Ahern [21/11/2019 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Marshalls election: Lobbying and horsetrading predicted [21/11/2019 - Marshall Islands]
- News : Climate planning in Samoa surprises scientists, challenges Western perceptions [21/11/2019 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Two candidates will contest the 28 November by-election for the seat left vacant by the death of former Tongan Prime Minister 'Akilisi Pohiva.
Pohiva's son Siaosi had registered to stand, as had environmental scientist Dr Netatua Pelesikoti Taufatofua.
During the 2017 general election 2731 votes were cast in the Tongatapu 1 Constituency with the late 'Akilisi Pohiva winning 1376 of those.
Dr Taufatofua, who came second in that poll, was recently admitted to an International Scientific Advisory Panel for the World Meteorological Organisation and was once the Director of the Climate Change Programme at the regional environmental group, SPREP.
Siaosi Vailahi Pohiva is an educational assessment specialist who has worked for the Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
SOURCE: RN PACIFIC/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media