Username Password
PINA
PNG PM condemns NZ massacre
10:34 pm GMT+12, 17/03/2019, Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has joined world leaders in condemning the massacre of people attending Friday prayers at two mosques in New Zealand, calling it despicable and disgusting.
 
So far, 50 have been reported dead, while more than 30 are being treated in hospital — 12 of them including a four-year-old, in critical condition.
 
“New Zealand is one of the most peaceful and culturally open countries in the world, which makes this vicious attack even more disgusting,” he said.
 
“I extend our support to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as she and her Government manage the aftermath of this attack and the trauma that it brings upon the country. The thoughts and prayers of Papua New Guineans are with our brothers and sisters in New Zealand as the nation comes to terms with this despicable act.
 
“May like-minded countries around the world continue to work together to prevent such attacks in the future,” he said.

Australian-born Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, appeared in court on Saturday. He entered no plea to one count of murder. Officials said he would face additional charges and make another court appearance in April.


SOURCE: THE NATIONALPACNEWS


News feature
There are no related media to this article.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
Membership
Member Countries
Media Freedom
Training
PINA Convention
Awards
Contact
Gallery
Forum
Events
Jobs
Classifieds
PACNEWS
Home
Regional
Feature
Business
Sports
Archives
Partners
Communications Initiative
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
UNDP PC
AusAID
NZAID
SPREP
ONOC
UNAIDS
Media Helping Media
Partners
PIFS
SPC
IFEX
UNESCO
AIBD
GFMD
SEAPA
WPFC
IFJ