- News Feature : "Women’s rights are non-negotiable in COVID-19 response programming" says the Pacific based Shifting the Power Coalition [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : ADB sees pandemic slashing 2020 global remittances by over US$100 billion [03/08/2020 - Philippines]
- Business News : No tax on fringe benefitsin in Fiji [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific should be on alert after PNG drug bust - analyst [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : We can't allow Pacific leaders to use coronavirus as a cover for authoritarianism [03/08/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : New data on women’s experiences and men’s perpetration of violence inform approaches to prevent family violence in South Tarawa, Kiribati [03/08/2020 - Kiribati]
- Sports News : OFC announces funding increases [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : 70 Marshallese died from COVID-19 in U.S [03/08/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- News : 110 COVID-19 cases in PNG [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Three more individuals positive for Covid-19 in CNMI [02/08/2020 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- News : No end in sight to COVID crisis, and its impact will last for ‘decades to come’ [02/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : PNG’s biggest drug bust: the plane crash, the dead man and the half tonne of cocaine [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The International Netball Federation (INF) has postponed the 2021 Netball World Youth Cup due to the COVID-19 crisis.
The INF said it has taken the decision in consultation with the host country Fiji.
The governing body said factors that would need to be in place for the international event to go ahead in June next year were considered.
This included uncertainty over the control of the pandemic and risk to health, closures of borders to visitors, consideration of quarantine requirements and restrictions on global travel.
The INF said it will consult with the netball associations with qualified teams regarding the options for rescheduling the competition.
Possible dates towards the end of 2021 and in early 2022 will be considered.
The Fijian Government has reconfirmed its intention to host the event.
“We remain committed to the sporting aspirations of girls and young women in Fiji and across the netball world,” said Fiji's Minister for Youth and Sports Praveen Kumar Bala.
“We look forward to hosting this event at an appropriate time when the world is a lot safer, international travel restrictions have eased and when all teams, and Fiji as your host nation, are certain of reaping a just return on their investment into the Netball World Youth Cup 2021.”
The Netball World Youth Cup had been scheduled to take place between June 10 to 19 2021 at the Vodafone Arena in Suva.
Fiji is set to host the event for the second time having staged the tournament back in 1992, the second of eight editions of the competition to date.
The INF had been forced to cancel qualifying events in Africa, the Americas, Europe and Oceania due to the pandemic.
The events had been scheduled to take place before October 2020.
The INF world rankings will instead be used to determine the qualifying teams for those regions affected.
SOURCE: INSIDE THE GAMES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media