- Sports News : Victory [19/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Flying Fijians coach McKee names squad for final test against Maori All Blacks [18/07/2019 - New Zealand]
- Sports News : Kable shoots another Gold for Team Fiji [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Samoa PM calls on Pacific Games Council to address transgender concerns [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific Mini Games to feature six sports in scaled down format in Northern Mariana Islands [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific Games Council hoping for amicable conclusion to dispute with Tongan Government [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Pacific's fastest man reigns in thrilling 200m final [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Wisil completes historic Pacific Games sprint triple-triple with 200m gold [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- News Feature : Mobilising Urgent Action and Political Will For Ocean and Climate Change [18/07/2019 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Vanuatu: First country in the Pacific to develop its Multi hazard National Contingency Plan [18/07/2019 - Vanuatu]
- News : Climate change main priority says new EU Ambassador to Pacific [18/07/2019 - Fiji]
- News : Climate crisis not science debate anymore: Kiribati civil servant [18/07/2019 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The opening of the 2019 Pacific Games in Samoa on the weekend was a showcase of the rich Samoan culture and heritage and heralds the start of two weeks of intensive competition by the best sports people in the region said SPTO Chief Executive, Christopher Cocker.
“The Organising Committee, Government and people of Samoa are to be commended for what I believe is one of the best Pacific Games opening Ceremony. I heard that it has been labelled as well as the miracle Pacific Games because the rain stopped just before the opening ceremony started. Thank you Samoa for bringing the Pacific people together and making us all proud at the opening ceremony! ” said Cocker.
Cocker said Samoa has made each country delegation welcome and gone the extra mile to ensure that the Games is a “Plastics free” event, “This augurs well with the role Pacific people play in the protection of the Blue Pacific which is a pillar of our common identity.”
With more than 3000 athletes participating in 26 various sports,Cocker said the Pacific Games is a boom for the Samoan economy, “As the Games not only celebrates athleticism and sportsmanship of our Pacific people but highlights the rising importance of sports tourism for our region as another means to enhancing economic prosperity, especially for the host country.”
Cocker said the hike in visitors over the two weeks of the Pacific Games will certainly boost the local commerce and tourism businesses in Samoa with athletes, support teams and their families looking to immerse in the Samoan shopping, cuisine, cultural and hospitality experience.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for Samoa to put on great showcase for visitors from the Pacific and abroad which I am certain they will accomplish very well. I take this opportunity to wish all the athletes the best in their various events and also to enjoy the hospitality of beautiful Samoa,” said Cocker.
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media