- Business News : ADB President, Niue Premier discuss COVID-19 response [08/07/2020 - Niue]
- Sports News : NZR review recommends Super Rugby scrapped for competition featuring NZ, Australia and Pacific - report [08/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- Business News : Solomon Airlines operates third repatriation flight from Australia [08/07/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- Business News : COVID-19: Private sector sees a way forward on trade and tourism while others cautious [08/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Visa changes will allow stranded fruit pickers from Pacific Islands to work other NZ jobs [08/07/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : Criminals on death row in PNG to be executed [08/07/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Four new confirmed COVID -19 cases in Guam [08/07/2020 - Guam]
- News : Fiji to ratify treaty on prohibition of nuclear weapons [08/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : 'Will to fight together': Fiji's has taken another bold step in the battle against nuclear weapons [08/07/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : Youth resilience to COVID-19: indigenous knowledge in Tuvalu [08/07/2020 - Tuvalu]
- News : WHO acknowledges 'evidence emerging' of airborne spread of COVID-19 [08/07/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : Coronavirus perfect storm engulfs Marshall Islanders in U.S [08/07/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Papua New Guinea Electoral Commissioner, Patilias Gamato has been granted a K3,000 (US$886) court bail.
The bail was granted by the Waigani District Court, after 6 pm this evening, following an urgent bail application filed by his lawyers this afternoon.
Gamato was arrested and charged today with a count each of official corruption, money laundering and conspiracy.
Amongst the bail conditions, the defendant shall not interfere with any possible State witnesses, shall not leave NCD without leave of the court, and shall attend all court appearances.
The order of the court including the bail certificate was finalised and taken to the Boroko Police Station, where Gamato was remanded.
The Electoral Commissioner Patilias Gamato was arrested by detectives from Boroko in the National Capital District.
Gamato was arrested following ongoing fraud investigations in to a case of official corruption implicating the Election Manager for National Capital District Terence Hetinu in 2017.
He was charged and detained at the Boroko cells Friday.
SOURCE: NBC NEWS/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media