- News Feature : "Women’s rights are non-negotiable in COVID-19 response programming" says the Pacific based Shifting the Power Coalition [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- Business News : ADB sees pandemic slashing 2020 global remittances by over US$100 billion [03/08/2020 - Philippines]
- Business News : No tax on fringe benefitsin in Fiji [03/08/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Pacific should be on alert after PNG drug bust - analyst [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News Feature : We can't allow Pacific leaders to use coronavirus as a cover for authoritarianism [03/08/2020 - Vanuatu]
- News Feature : New data on women’s experiences and men’s perpetration of violence inform approaches to prevent family violence in South Tarawa, Kiribati [03/08/2020 - Kiribati]
- Sports News : OFC announces funding increases [03/08/2020 - New Zealand]
- News : 70 Marshallese died from COVID-19 in U.S [03/08/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- News : 110 COVID-19 cases in PNG [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : Three more individuals positive for Covid-19 in CNMI [02/08/2020 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- News : No end in sight to COVID crisis, and its impact will last for ‘decades to come’ [02/08/2020 - Switzerland]
- News : PNG’s biggest drug bust: the plane crash, the dead man and the half tonne of cocaine [02/08/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Palau’s envoy to the United Nations Ngedikes OlaiUludong was chosen one of vice presidents of the UN General Assembly.
According to the Permanent Mission of Palau to the UN Facebook page that Palau is among the five countries representing the Asia Pacific Group in the UN.
“It is a great honor and privilege to attain such important postings in international foreign policy. The elections are mostly announced far in advance and campaigns within the groupings are based on voting mainly and trade-offs.”
Palau is among the 21 vice presidents elected for each year-long session of the body.
“For small island countries it is a matter of relevance, confidence and trust in being part of the biggest multilateral institution in the world,“ added the Palau UN Representative.
Turkey’s Volkan Bozkir was elected to preside over the 75th session of the UNGA from September.
In his statement of vision, MrBozkir said he plans to work to “ensure impartial and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance and full respect for international humanitarian law in conflicts and crises.”
SOURCE: ISLAND TIMES/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media