- Business News : US$30.8 million project will provide access for FSM to world-class broadband and digital services [29/03/2020 - Micronesia, Federated States of]
- Business News : Fiji Link to suspend all outer-Island flights, Restrictions on inter- island shipping movements [29/03/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Quarantine to cover most arrivals, 56 confirmed cases on Guam [29/03/2020 - Guam]
- News : CNMI has two confirmed Covid-19 cases [29/03/2020 - Northern Mariana Islands]
- News : No new cases of COVID-19 confirms Fiji PM [29/03/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Vulnerable Pacific Islands "lock down" against coronavirus [29/03/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Mass repatriation underway in Solomon Islands [29/03/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Lockdown, curfew, begin in Tonga on Sunday: People must stay home, most businesses closed [29/03/2020 - Tonga]
- Sports News : Fiji 7s coach contract expected to be renewed after Olympics postponement [26/03/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Team PNG still focused despite deferral of Olympics [26/03/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Marshalls worried for seafarers caught up in Covid-19 restrictions [26/03/2020 - Marshall Islands]
- News : World Bank provides US$5.1m for Samoa COVID-19 response [26/03/2020 - Samoa]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
Tonga’s Rugby League governing body have been expelled from their membership within International Rugby League.
A statement from International Rugby League said, “At its Board meeting on 13 February, the Directors carefully considered the position of Tonga National Rugby League, which has been suspended since October 2019, in the light of a wide-ranging consultation with stakeholders in the Tongan game.
“After that meeting, the Board wrote to TNRL, advising them of the resolution passed at that meeting, which is to expel TNRL from the membership. There is a process within the IRL constitution for dealing with membership issues, which IRL is following. TNRL has one week to appeal the Board’s decision.
“Should it choose to do so, the matter will be decided by the members in general meeting.
“IRL will be making no further comments until due constitutional process is completed.”
Tonga made the semi-finals of the 2017 World Cup but have been suspended since October 2019.
SOURCE: TOTAL RUGBY LEAGUE/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media