- Sports News : Solomon Islands 2023 Pacific Games – PGC Visit to Honiara [22/02/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News Feature : The Belt and Road to nowhere: China’s incoherent aid in Papua New Guinea [22/02/2018 - Papua New Guinea]
- Business News : Cook Islands airspace earns $300k annually [22/02/2018 - Cook Islands]
- Business News : SPTO and Fiji Airways partner to bring member countries to LA Travel & Adventure Show [22/02/2018 - Fiji]
- Business News : Solomon Islands companies move head on support for Women in Business [22/02/2018 - Solomon Islands]
- News : Barnaby Joyce quits as Australian deputy prime minister and National party leader [22/02/2018 - Australia]
- News : Drought hit atolls to receive help [22/02/2018 - Marshall Islands]
- News : No tax, duty on food and building materials from overseas, says Tonga Revenue Minister [22/02/2018 - Tonga]
- Sports News : Fiji 7s players contracted until the World Cup in July, Baber wants to prepare two squads [22/02/2018 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Manu Samoa Sevens for Vegas and Vancouver named [22/02/2018 - Samoa]
- Sports News : Gold Coast 2018 rugby sevens schedule released [22/02/2018 - Australia]
- News Feature : Why is tiny Nauru getting $26.9m in climate finance to build a port? [22/02/2018 - Nauru]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The High Level Group that will make recommendations on governance of the Commonwealth Secretariat is holding its first meeting today at Marlborough House, the Commonwealth’s headquarters in London.
At their last Summit in Malta, Commonwealth heads of government directed the Secretary-General to form the Group. Today members are discussing the scope of the group's work and the areas of governance it will examine over the coming months. The process is open and the High Level Group reports to the heads.
The issue of succession of the Head of the Commonwealth is not part of the Group’s mandate.
Anote Tong chairs the High Level Group. He served as President of Kiribati from 2003 to 2016. Other members include:
*Lord Howell: Former British energy secretary
*Louise Frechette: Former United Nations deputy secretary-general
*Robert Hill: Former Australian defence minister
*Dame Billie Miller: Former deputy prime minister of Barbados
*Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Former Nigerian minister of finance
*Dr George Vella: Former foreign minister of Malta
The High Level Group operates independently of the Commonwealth Secretariat. Further members may be appointed....PACNEWS
T. +00 44 20 7747 6546
M. +00 44 75 8765 7285
Join the conversation Tweets by @commonwealthsec
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media