- Sports News : Pacific Islanders encouraged to pursue ONOC-USP Sports Masters scholarship programme [26/11/2020 - Fiji]
- Sports News : Officials to meet to review final match for Covid-stricken Fiji team [26/11/2020 - Fiji]
- News Feature : PACER Plus: a third view [26/11/2020 - Australia]
- News Feature : The State of our Pacific Islands Conservation in black and white [26/11/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Environment Impact Assessments tools vital for sustainable tourism development [26/11/2020 - Samoa]
- Business News : Enormous Fisheries Surveillance Effort by FFA and Members [26/11/2020 - Solomon Islands]
- News : European Union provides €22 million to support the health response in the Pacific and Timor-Leste [26/11/2020 - Fiji]
- News : Legality of PNG Speaker's decision to recall Parliament will be heard next Monday [26/11/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : High Level Segment of largest Pacific Nature Conference opens [26/11/2020 - Samoa]
- News : 10 PNG government MPs submitted their resignation letter [26/11/2020 - Papua New Guinea]
- News : One day parliament sitting insufficient, Cook Islands Opposition says [26/11/2020 - Cook Islands]
- News : U.S offers counter-China funding for Pacific nations [26/11/2020 - United States]
- Sponsored : Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC)
The U.S Marines have tested a new strategy for fighting China in a future naval war that would involve missile-armed units island-hopping across the Pacific.
The battle plan, rehearsed in Exercise Noble Fury, is for Marines to be dropped covertly on islands and atolls in the region to attack Chinese warships and missile sites in a “shoot-and-scoop” manoeuvre. It is envisaged that the Marines would fire rockets and missiles at designated targets before escaping by helicopter to another island.
The setting up of “expeditionary advanced base operations” across the Pacific in a time of conflict is part of a new fighting blueprint for the U.S Marines that is expected to be fully operational by 2030.
Meanwhile, Australia will take part in large-scale military exercises off the coast of India next month that will bring together a quartet of countries concerned by rising Chinese influence.
India, Japan, the United States and – for the first time since 2007 – Australia will take part in this November’s Malabar naval exercise, a move that is likely to lead to protests from China.
Australian Defence Minister Linda Reynolds said late on Monday that the drills were about “demonstrating our collective resolve to support an open and prosperous Indo-Pacific” – a allusion to countering China’s power.
India’s Ministry of Defence said the naval drill would take place in the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal, which has been a hotspot for Indo-Chinese strategic competition.
Over the last few decades, China has tried to significantly increase influence in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh, prompting acute concern in New Delhi.
The drill comes at a time of diplomatic tensions between China and Australia, economic tensions between China and the U.S and military tensions between China and India.
India and China have poured tens of thousands of troops into a remote Himalayan border zone since fighting a pitched battle in June in which 20 Indian troops and an unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed.
The so-called “Quad” has been touted as a means of countering Chinese influence – including a decades-long investment in modernising its army.
But the grouping has often faltered amid disagreements about how much to confront, contain or engage Beijing.
A renewed push to develop the Quad into a formal counterbalance to China included talks between foreign ministers in Tokyo earlier this month.
At that meeting, U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on Asian allies to unite against China’s “exploitation, corruption and coercion” in the region.
SOURCE: TIMES UK/ALJAZEERA/PACNEWS
Pacific Islands News Association
Who & What is PINA?
International News Safety Institute (INSI)
Media Helping Media